Two of the three Swallows who comprised the latest brood to fledge in the old feed room for the stables. Some of this year's broods from us and presumably another local house (possibly the empty one opposite). I counted 23, but some might be House Martins. They have built up another damaged nest and I think are nesting in it too - but it may just be a House Martin "cwtch" place at night.

Anyway, I have renewed my reading ticket at The National Library of Wales. This was the view from outside it looking across the sea and the old University building. I ordered up some books about place-names on the Isle of Man and had a happy hour and a half delving into them. It felt very safe (Covid-wise) as they took every precaution to make it a safe experience. They had a thermal test camera at the entrance - so if you were possibly infectious you wouldn't get any further. Then I was shown where to go, where to put my belongings (locked locker) and my seat where my books were waiting. Automatic doors throughout too, and a one-way system. Things have changed since I was there last - a very swish shop too (even selling posh alcohol!) Another time I will have more time to take it in, but I had Keith waiting out in the car so had to be quick.
This monument was built in memory of the Duke of Wellington, and his success at Waterloo, and dates to 1852, the year of his death.
The Pier at Aberystwyth, and a receding tide . . . We sat here to eat a substantial and tasty baguette type lunch.
This is the cliff railway - a funicular one - at Aberystwyth. I quite fancy going up that another time. A lot of the seafront houses are owned by the University and students live there - ok until there's a "bit of a blow" and the sea virtually comes in the front window as the waves crash just feet away.
Up in the town, two splendid pieces of late Victorian architecture - one sadly a little the worse for wear these days. I think that's high-rise Buddleia!!The drive through the Cambrian mountains was a bit like a switch-back and the scenery pretty desolate too, but popular with walkers and probably prettier away from the road. Imagine what it must be like in Winter? There were the remains of old long-abandoned mine workings (lead and silver) seen from the A44, and the only trees were the dark pines of the Forestry Commission.
Another time we will stop at Nant-ar-Arian, and sample the walks as well as watching hundreds of Red Kites feeding. That really WILL be an experience.
0 Comments