I don't remember this card from my youth, although I'm sure I had it then. Ken's career seems to be filled with micro facts. He played very few games, and his '73 campaign with the Rangers was his high point with 90 games played. He was almost totally at catcher, except in 1968 he played one inning of left field for Cleveland, one inning of "outfield," one out at second base and two outs at third. I wonder if those non-catcher appearances were in the same game, as if they did this to get somebody else to play all nine positions.
I found out some strange things about Suarez whilst doing some research. Although he has a 1974 card, he never played in the majors in '74. His last game was in Sept. of '73. He was traded to the Indians just before the start of spring training in '74, and was one of the pieces in the Indians late '74 trade with the Angels for Frank Robinson. I'm wondering if Ken was in the minors for the '74 season (and beyond?) and was involved in two trades as a minor leaguer, and this is the reason why he has no further major league stats. He has no card in the Trades set.
Cartoon: Ken is a deputy sheriff, but it doesn't say where. I'm sure it's not Mayberry. Well, I wonder. When did the Andy Griffith show go off the air? Could Ken have replaced deputy Fife? He probably would have been good at catching criminals with a baseball bat. Louisville Slugger?
Ballpark background: Ken is posing here at the big ballpark in the Bronx. Yankee Stadium as it is also known.
0 Comments