Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros ~ Purity; Jonathan Franzen


Every Tuesday I host First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros where I share the first paragraph sometimes two from a book I am reading or thinking about reading soon. (Planning to start this one this week)

Purity; Jonathan Franzen
Farrar, Straus and Giroux - 2015

"Oh pussycat, I'm so glad to hear your voice," the girl's mother said on the telephone. "My body is betraying me again. Sometimes I think my life is nothing but one long process of bodily betrayal."

"Isn't that everybody's life?" the girl, Pip, said.  She'd taken to calling her mother midway through her lunch break at Renewable Solutions.  It brought her some relief from the feeling that she wasn't suited for her job, that she had a job that nobody could be suited for, or that she was a person unsuited for any kind of job; and then, after twenty minutes she could honestly say that she needed to get back to work."


What do you think -- keep reading or pass? 
(Feel free to join in this week by posting your intro below?



Post a Comment

0 Comments